Some decades ago, the only option for a tooth infection was that of a tooth extraction. But with changing times, root canal treatments has emerged as an option for dealing with the infected tooth. Not limiting to the bigger cities, there are some excellent centers for root canal treatment Pune, Patna or Panjim have to offer. A root canal involves removing the damaged area of the tooth known as the pulp, cleaning and disinfecting it and then filling and sealing it.
So what exactly happens in these procedures?
- X-Ray: The dentist will first have an X-ray of the tooth to assess the location and the severity of the tooth decay.
- Local Anesthesia: The procedure is done under local anesthesia and the patient is awake during the entire job. The anesthesia is administered to the affected tooth and it may pinch a bit when the needle goes in.
- Pulpectomy: A small opening is made in the affected tooth. The infected portion is cleaned by removing the damaged dental pulp, and other decayed nerve tissue. The dentist also may irrigate the dental chamber with water to wash away the remaining pulp and put an antimicrobial solution in the chamber to kill any remaining bacteria and reduce the risk for further infection.
- Filling: After the cleaning, it is essential to close the chamber and the roots. A rubber-like material known as gutta-percha is commonly used to fill this.
- Crown: After a gap of a couple of weeks, the dentist will finish the treatment by placing a crown or a similar type of restoration on the top of the tooth. The crowns are available in various materials. Porcelain crowns look more like a real tooth while metal crowns, usually stronger, may be used for back teeth, says a dentist known for root canal treatment in Pune. Sealing off the tooth is the final step of the procedure and your tooth regains its functionality.
The costs vary based on dentists and towns. A root canal treatment cost in Pune may be more than that in a small town, and is definitely cheaper than say, USA! Important thing is to choose an experienced dentist, so as to avoid complications in the procedure and take holistic care of your dental health.
Healthy teeth, healthy you!